Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Walker


This is the piece that I choose to write about for this assignment. The title is "Synchromy in Green and Orange" made in 1916 by Stanton McDonald-Wright. Cubism greatly influenced this work of art and is a very linear painting. This is oil on canvas and there is no signature of the artist on the painting. A quote that Wright said about this painting is, "[Synchromy] is to color what symphony is to sound, it means everything is done with color."

I just have to say that I loved this painting. I felt there was a real movement in the piece. It danced for me and classical music just filled my head. It was soft and feathered yet still had clean lines between the colors. I cold see a dancer in the piece that was stationary yet still streching. I felt there was a great depth in the piece and it jumped out at you, in a gentle way. Th one thing that I hated was the way in which it was displayed. I wanted to get up close to it and just look but I feel like you really couldn't do that because you had to look through binoculars. I didn't think the viewer could truly appreciate how amazingly beautiful that painting was.

No comments:

Post a Comment